The main reasons to refuse single-use plastic:
1. The production of plastic creates large amount of fossil fuels and a large carbon footprint.
2. Plastic, particularly single-use plastic bags lasts forever- it only ever breaks down into smaller pieces.
3. Only a small percentage is recycled.
4. Plastic waste enters our oceans and kills marine life and birds, as well as enters our food chain which in turn is harmful to us.
Here are 3 easy tips to help reduce plastic waste:
1. Use reusable shopping bags such as the 24/7 reusable shopping bag when shopping- say no to single-use plastic bags and thicker reusable plastic bags available at grocery stores.
2. Use reusable produce bags for your loose produce when grocery shopping.
3. Use a reusable drink bottle, instead of using plastic bottles.